Resources for United Methodists Discerning their Future
During this liminal time in the church, many individuals and churches are seeking to renew their vision as United Methodists, focusing on vitality as they make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. Others are exploring a different future and may be considering withdrawing their membership or leaving the denomination.
For individuals and churches discerning their future, the conference has provided several resources. (See below.) For more specific information, please contact your district superintendent.
It should be noted that only churches who are seeking to leave the denomination need to review the details of disaffiliation. Congregations who remain a part of The United Methodist Church will continue our Wesleyan connection, united in doing mission and ministry as we move forward, persevering in hope, joy and faith.
If your church has wrestled with and decided to disaffiliate from The United Methodist Church, you may choose to remain. The 'Beginning Again' guide is offered to help you remain United Methodist, and do so with purpose, meaning, and joy. You are not alone as you and your friends begin again.
On May 11, Bishop LaTrelle Easterling released a video with comprehensive information designed to answer all your questions about disaffiliation.
- What happens when a new denomination launches? – A comprehensive FAQ from the United Methodist News Service
- Book of Discipline Para. 2553 provides information on disaffiliation – A 2021 article from the BWC Board of Trustees
- Trustees outline process for disaffiliation – A 2022 article from the BWC Board of Trustees
- Paragraph 2553 of the Book of Discipline
- A letter from BWC Leadership on Church Conferences and Disaffiliation
- GCFA-Developed Standard Form Disaffiliation Agreement
- “Stay or Go: Real Talk for United Methodists Exploring Their Future” – A webinar with panelists from UMNext and the Wesleyan Covenant Association
- Q&A from the webinar
- Living Faithfully: Human Sexuality and The United Methodist Church, – A four-week small group study by Abingdon Press with an impartial approach to the matter.
Wespath video and FAQ on Disaffiliation and the Unfunded Withdrawal Liability
Wespath guide to Clergy Withdrawals – Impact on Benefits when Surrendering Credentials