BWC Ministries Grants & Awards
BWC Ministries provides mission and ministry-related grants and awards to Baltimore-Washington United Methodist Churches, organizations, and/or related agencies. These grants are solely for the use of ministries based in the Baltimore-Washington Conference of the United Methodist Church and are made possible through apportionment giving, individual giving, grants partnerships
- Availability of funds;
- Ability to further the mission of the United Methodist Church through one or more of our strategic focus areas; and,
- Adherence to the procedures listed in the Guidelines for Funding Requests (see Guidelines) and alignment with the provided guidelines.
New Faith Expressions
New Faith Expressions encourage evangelism and the creation of diverse, multicultural third places with and for people who aren’t currently connected to any faith community.
- The Harry Denman Evangelism Award honors United Methodists in each annual conference whose exceptional ministry of evangelism - expressed in Word (what), Sign (why), and Deed (how) - brings people into a life-transforming relationship with Jesus Christ. What distinguishes a Harry Denman Evangelism Award recipient is the commitment to consistently introduce others to the Good News of Jesus Christ in all ministry settings. Their ministry is exceptional for the number of new Christ Followers who credit encounters with this person as critical in helping to start or reignite their faith journey. We will recognize one
clergy,and one layperson. Nominations are due April 1 and will be awarded at Annual Conference.
- Congregational Development Grants assist congregations with grants for new ministry, new or renewed congregation development,
leaderdevelopment, and short-term equitable compensation support. Applications are due to your district superintendent by March 20 and October 1.
Advocacy & Action
Advocacy & Action partners with communities so that we join in advocating to transform systems which disenfranchise, marginalize, and oppress and to create a BWC presence on urgent policy matters at local, state and national levels.
- Advocacy & Action Award $1,000 given to one faith community that exemplifies partnering with their communities in advocating to transform systems which disenfranchise, marginalize, and oppress. Applications/nominations are due April 1 and will be awarded at Annual Conference.
- Moral Courage Awards to honor a young adult and adult who exemplify exercising moral courage in order to improve. Applications are due April 1 and will be awarded at Annual Conference.
- BWC Peace with Justice Grants for up to $2,000 is made possible by the annual Peace with Justice Offering. 50% of this offering is retained for local Peace with Justice ministry and the rest of it made available for denomination-wide work. Peace with Justice witnesses to God's demand for a faithful, just, disarmed, and secure world. Applications due May 1.
- Missional Innovation for Advocacy and Action Grants up to $5,000 awarded to a team of persons at least one of whom is connected to a United Methodist faith community that has a tested plan to address an aspect of a system of oppression and/or injustice in collaboration with impoverished, marginalized and disenfranchised communities.
Applicationsdue May 1 and November 1. Learn about previous winners or apply now.