The Baltimore-Washington Conference of The United Methodist Church Scholarship Program provides scholarships to help supplement the financial needs of today. Scholarships are for undergraduate students enrolled full-time in an accredited college or university in the United States.
Funding for the BWC scholarships is provided through the United Methodist Student Day Special Offering, the BWC Board of Trustees, the Board of Higher Education and Campus Ministry, the United Methodist Women, the United Methodist Men, and other designated gifts. Students will need to complete the online application each year. Applications are reviewed by members of the Joint Scholarship Task Force.
Scholarship applications are accepted online only January 3 – March 7, 2019. Awards are determined by the Joint Scholarship Task Force. Scholarship award email notices will be sent out by the last week of June 2019. Payment of scholarship awards
|Jan. 3 – Mar. 7||Online application process|
|Mar. 8 – May 25||Application review process|
|June 24 – June 28||Award letters sent via e-mail to students|
|Aug. 26 – Sept. 1||Checks sent to approved colleges/universities for approved students|
Please review scholarship descriptions below BEFORE APPLYING ONLINE for a scholarship.
- BWC Higher Education and Campus Ministry Scholarship: For students going to an approved Methodist College in the Northeast Jurisdiction or across the United States.
- Sophia Dietsch Education Scholarship: For students of Baltimore City Only who are going into
ministry / seminarystudent / or in the candidacy process. Awardis $400 per year up to $2,000 total (no more than 5 years). Students must be a candidate for ministry in The United Methodist Church and be from Baltimore City. Studentmust have held membership in a church of the Baltimore-Washington Conference for at least one year. Applicant must be a degree candidate at an accredited college, university or seminary.
- Francis Asbury Scholarship: Only available to the child of a pastor.
- Board of Trustees/Merit Scholarship: Open to all students based on need, GPA, and finances. May be awarded to undergraduate, graduate, or doctoral students; who are
fullactive members of the UMC for at least one year; have a minimum GPA of 2.5+, and are attending an accredited institution within the U.S.
- United Methodist Women (UMW) Scholarship: The United Methodist Women Scholarship Fund provides financial assistance for undergraduate students who are members of churches within the Baltimore-Washington Conference. The awards are made according to financial need, academic achievement, and active church membership. The scholarship amounts range from $400 to $1,000 per year. Scholarships are renewable; a new application must be submitted annually for review. Payments are made directly to the college/university. This scholarship is not available to the child of a pastor. This scholarship is available to both women and men.
- United Methodist Men (UMM) Scholarship: The United Methodist Men Scholarship Fund provides financial assistance for undergraduate students who are members of churches within the Baltimore-Washington Conference. The awards are made according to financial need, academic achievement, and active church membership. The scholarship amounts range from $250 to $500 per year. Scholarships are renewable; a new application must be submitted annually for review. Payments are made directly to the college/university. This scholarship is not available to the child of a pastor.
- Carroll Yingling, Jr. Scholarship: For students who are going into
ministry / seminarystudent / or in the candidacy process. Students must be a candidate for ministry in The United Methodist Church and a member of the Baltimore-Washington Conference. Preference will be given to students attending Duke Divinity School, Wesley Theological Seminary, or Drew Seminary; students pursuing ministry as a first career (age 35 and younger); students interested in social justice and/or parish ministry.
Ministerial Education Funds available to seminary students who are certified candidates in the Baltimore-Washington Conference:
The Baltimore-Washington Conference Board of Ordained Ministry provides grants and loans/scholarships for seminary students related to the Baltimore-Washington Conference and for clergy persons needing financial assistance to complete their education. Persons needing such assistance should contact the administrative assistant for the Board of Ordained Ministry.
DO NOT APPLY to the Joint Scholarship Task Force for this assistance.
* EXCEPTION: Seminary students from Baltimore City may apply for the Educational Scholarship: Sophia Dietsch Fund.
Other scholarships and loans are available through the General Board of Higher Education (national level). Call the Office of Loans and Scholarships at 615-340-7344, visit their website, or e-mail them at or .
The Joint Scholarship Task Force will only review online applications that contain all required documentation as listed below:
- Online Application – Only online applications are being accepted. You/the student MUST click submit at the end of the application for the application to be accepted.
- Student’s Statement –Be prepared to discuss your involvement in the church and how you have served as a leader.
- Statement of Extenuating Circumstances – Explain in the application process if there are extenuating circumstances the Joint Scholarship Task Force needs to take into consideration. (200-word limit)
- Student’s Official Transcript – ONLY Official College/University or High School if graduating senior transcripts are accepted.
- Pastor’s Email – You/the student will need to provide an email address for your pastor. An email will be sent to the pastor asking them to confirm your commitment, involvement, and membership in the local church. They will also be asked to include is the length of time you/the student has been a member in the United Methodist Church and/or when you/the student
wereconfirmed and took membership in the United Methodist church.
- Reference’s Email – You/the student will need to provide
andemail address for a reference at your church. An email will be sent to the reference asking them to comment on your commitment, involvement, and membership in the local church.
Only one application is needed each school year. Renewal applicants must submit a new application each school year.
The following is standard criteria for all BWC scholarships:
- The student must be an ACTIVE, full member of The United Methodist Church for at least ONE year. Membership is determined by the date the student was confirmed and took membership vows with a United Methodist church. (Members of other denominations are not eligible.)
- The student must be pursuing a degree program at an accredited college or university within the United States.
- A high school student may apply IF they will be a college student in the fall term.
- The student must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Students are required to be full-time according to their school’s standards for the program for which they are enrolled.
- Awards may be based on evidence of financial need, academic merit, church participation, and/or acceptance by an accredited institution.
For questions, please contact Cheryl Cook at the Baltimore-Washington Conference of The United Methodist Church Scholarship Office.