Discipleship Ministries Assistant
REPORTS TO: Discipleship Ministries Manager
LOCATION: Fulton, MD
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time – Exempt
SALARY: $45,000 - $49,000
DATE: January 12, 2023
The Discipleship Ministries Assistant (DMA) helps a highly collaborative, remarkably busy staff ministry team of eight (plus a cadre of volunteers) run effectively and efficiently. The successful candidate will be an administrative whiz with a non-anxious presence who extends radical hospitality in interculturally proficient ways. Whether answering phones and emails, providing technical support for zoom meetings, building spreadsheets or leadership presentations, the DMA executes a wide variety of tasks with a sense of humor.
The mission of the Baltimore-Washington Conference is to inspire and equip local faith communities to develop disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world, so that more transformed lives transform lives. The Discipleship Ministries department accomplishes this through developing leaders who launch new faith expressions, entrust young people to lead, engage in advocacy and action, and wellness and missions. Each underlined area has a board of diverse volunteers and staff.
• Assist and support a team of ministry leaders (paid and unpaid) in executing activities, events, and meetings. Activities include completing smaller tasks to help other team members and leaders efficiently complete larger work items. Some of these tasks include taking minutes, making appointments, booking meeting rooms, ordering office materials, and providing administrative support using a wide range of technology.
• Provide radical hospitality on behalf of Discipleship Ministries which includes providing information, supporting the routing of ministry-related calls and/or emails and developing environments of hospitality for ministry meetings and events.
• Manage Mission Innovation, Peace with Justice and other grants awarded by Discipleship Ministries.
• Manage and monitor Discipleship Ministries operating and non-operating accounts, communicate budgetary information and balances to staff and agency leaders.
• Write and send thank you notes to donors and other invested persons.
• Build and maintain a customer relations database for all ministry areas.
• Administer the Intercultural Development Inventory (training will be provided).
Work Experience: at least two years administrative experience in a large, busy office setting or a start-up.
Education: Associate’s degree required, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Skills and Knowledge:
• Exceptionally strong computer skills and adept in using technology to accomplish tasks more efficiently.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (particularly Outlook, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel), Google Drive and aptitude with similar platforms that are currently in use within our team: ShelbyNext (financial), Arena (database/CRM), Zoom, Jot Forms, Basecamp (task/team management), Survey Monkey Apply (application portal).
• Well-organized, multitasker who learns quickly.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent volunteer and relationship management skills that result in team and member satisfaction.
• Budgeting, bookkeeping, and planning skills and knowledge of associated software like ShelbyNext.
• Time management and prioritization skills.
• Resourceful and anticipates needs.
• Extreme attention to detail, follows up on missing items for task completion.
• Personal credibility through a positive attitude, maintaining strict confidentiality, effective communication skills (written and verbal), and achieving results.
• Excellent computer and technology skills needed to support administrative, and project needs of the team and a willingness to learn or recommend innovative technologies as needed.
• Maintains flexibility to deal with changing priorities and workload demands.
• Thrives in a fast-paced, team environment.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate, build relationships and coalitions across lines of difference.
To apply for this position, send a resume and cover letter outlining how you meet the specific requirements of the position to
by February 3, 2023.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Baltimore-Washington Conference is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.