Prayers of the People
We continue to pray for all those affected by the partial Federal Government shutdown. Faith leaders from across the region, including Bishop LaTrelle Easterling, sent a letter to lawmakers last Thursday, urging a quick end. Read more.
'Laity Fix' event promoted in new podcast
The Laity Fix, a workshop on church growth with Lynda R. Byrd, will be offered from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 15, and again on Saturday, Feb. 16, at the BWC Mission Center. There is no cost for this event, which is sponsored by the Office of Leadership and Congregation Development. Register online.
Featured this Week
Sexual Ethics and Boundaries training will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Jan. 29 at Brook Hill UMC in Frederick, Jan. 30 at Arnolia UMC in Baltimore, and Jan. 31 at Westphalia UMC in Upper Marlboro. The training is required for all clergy and laity assigned to pastoral roles. Lay staff from local churches or other conference leaders are encouraged to attend. Participants are free to choose which date and location they would like to attend and should register accordingly by next Monday, Jan. 21.
The $35 registration fee includes lunch and .5 CEUs. Register online.
BWC United Methodist Men are working hard to feed the hungry, but they need your support. So far, 14 churches have donated money to help with potato drops this year, part of the Society of St. Andrew Potato Project, but more is needed. The first potato drop this year is Saturday, Feb. 2, at Glen Burnie UMC. The UMM need $3,123.50 to meet the cost. To help, contact Richard Campbell at 443-517-3084. If every church in the BWC gave just $52, UMM would meet its goal for all the 2019 potato drops.
Advocacy and Action
- The BWC's Maryland Legislative Advocacy Day 2019 will be held March 7 at Asbury UMC, 87 West St. in Annapolis, from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. The event will include advocacy training, a discussion of issues, office visits with legislators and General Assembly hearings.
Young People's Ministry
- BWC Scholarship application opened January 3, 2019! Once again, the Baltimore-Washington Conference will be awarding scholarships for qualified students currently attending college, as well as high school seniors who plan to attend college in the fall of 2019. The application process opens on Jan. 3 and closes March 7, 2019.
A variety of scholarships are offered to fit the diverse needs of our students. To be considered for a scholarship, students must complete the full online application which includes uploading their current transcripts. In addition, the student must provide contact information for their pastor and one additional church reference. The pastor and reference will be contacted and asked to submit information on the student’s participation in the local church. The entire process will be done online for ease of the student, pastor, and reference.
For details about the individual scholarships or to apply for a scholarship, please visithttp://www.bwcumc.org/administration/local-church-resources/scholarships/.College scholarship applications are now online. The deadline is March 7. Learn more.
- The BWC will host a weekend of training and renewal for youth workers March 22-24 at Wesley Freedom UMC in Eldersburg. Whether you are new to youth ministry or a seasoned veteran, there will be training and classes appropriate for any stage of your ministry. Learn more.
- Registration for ROCK is still open, and there are tickets available, according to event organizers. ROCK will be held Feb. 8-10. ROCK is a powerful and fun-filled weekend in Ocean City, Md. The event allows youth and adults to take a step back from their busy lives and learn about the amazing love of Jesus Christ.
Linthicum Heights UMC in Linthicum, MD
is seeking a Director of Music.
The Director of Music develops and leads the music ministries of Linthicum Heights UMC, in consultation with the Pastor and others involved in the music ministry. The responsibilities include accompanying the congregation on piano and organ during traditional worship celebrations, working with the pastor to select music for worship celebrations, directing and accompanying adult and children choirs, directing a bell choir, and coordinating special music.
The candidate will have a desire to share the love of Christ through their gift and love of music. The candidate will be familiar and comfortable with traditional, contemporary, and modern forms of music and worship.
The desired candidate will demonstrate professional proficiency in playing the piano and organ, be creative in working with the present configuration of the music ministry, and flexible to other configurations and possibilities for developing the music ministry. The candidate will exercise characteristics of creativity, flexibility, and good humor, while nurturing the community created through music.
The candidate will have a bachelor’s degree or higher in music, 3-5 years’ experience as a Director of Music or similar position (including experience in directing choirs and instrumental groups), with good communication and organizational skills.
This is a part-time job (15-20 hours per week). Salary is Commensurate with experience.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Linthicum Heights UMC at .
STATISTICAL REPORT IS DEADLINE APPROACHING FAST!!!!!!!!
January 1 -- EZRA opens for 2018 Stats
- Statistical Reports are due in EZRA by noon Monday, January 28, 2019. Please remember, these reports are NOT entered into Arena. Instead, you will log into EZRA to enter the information.
- Receiving all stats data by the date required is extremely important to enable setting the 2020 budget that is initially reviewed by the Council on Finance and Administration (CFA) on the first week of February.
- Proper planning is essential for your church to meet the data entry deadline.
- Visit the Statistical Reporting webpage for resources.
Southern Region Advanced SPRC Training Saturday, Feb. 23.
The Staff/Pastor-Parish Relations Committee is the administrative unit in the local church where staff/pastor and congregational interests are integrated to focus on the mission of the church. The SPRC has more components to operating that personnel and clergy compensation issues. This is a critical Committee in the life of the local church.
This advanced training will prepare local church SPRCs not only regarding personnel and clergy compensation, but the role of the District Committee on Ordained Ministry, Certified Lay Ministers and Certified Lay Servants, how to conduct a comprehensive and effective evaluation, how to resolve conflicts, and what to do when an area needs improvement. It will also address the role of the District Superintendent and when to involve them in areas of unresolved conflict or concern.
The class will be held on February 23, 2019 at Centenary UMC, 6248 Shady Side Rd., Shady Side, MD 20764 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. You are strongly encouraged to attend this training as a Team. The cost is $5 per person. One person should be assigned to register each team. Registration is now open Register.
Southern Region Annual Leadership Day April 13, 2019
The Southern Region will host our annual training for clergy and laity on April 13, 2019 at Nichols-Bethel UMC, 1239 Murray Rd, Odenton MD. This year our keynote speaker will be Matt Lake, Lead Pastor of the First United Methodist Church of Williamsport, PA—an urban congregation that consists of a mix of traditional and contemporary worship experiences. First Church also currently hosts a network of fresh expressions of ministry called the Acts Network in which people meet in places such as homes, gyms, and coffee shops. Registration is now open. To register please click here.
A Way Forward Resources
At our regional gathering on October 28, Bishop stressed the importance of staying informed, attending listening sessions and praying daily at 2:23 pm for five minutes for those who will meet at the General Conference on February 23. The Bishop referenced three resources during our time together to gain understanding and stay informed:
- A Word from the Bishop: We Can Remain Together - Why I Support the One Church Plan
- Plans - At - A - Glance: A Summary and Side-by-Side Comparison of the One Church Plan
- Browse Resources on A Way Forward and Connect with the BWC Delegates