The people of the Baltimore-Washington Conference were, and are today, builders of the faith. This was especially evident during the Pentecost decades that followed the Civil War, when we built a variety of institutions and laid the foundation for many of today’s missional initiatives.
1850 – Mount Vernon Place UMC built as the mother church of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
1867 - Centenary Biblical Institute, started at Sharp Street Memorial UMC in Baltimore becomes Morgan State College.
1868 – Western Maryland College, now McDaniel College in Westminster, started; it housed a seminary and its president and board were Methodists for the school’s first 100 years.
1869 – Metropolitan Memorial UMC in D.C. is built as the Nation’s Church.
1874 – The Board of Child Care of The United Methodist Church, founded to provide and care for vulnerable children and their families. The Swartzell Home, Strawbridge, and Kelso orphanages merged in 1940s.
1881 – Methodist help build Maryland General Hospital.
1885 - Goucher College in Baltimore started as a women’s college by Methodist pastors John Goucher and John B. Van Meter.
1890 Lucy Webb Hayes School of Nursing for Deaconnesses begins, become Sibley Hospital.
1892- American University built in Washington, D.C.
1908 – Methodists meeting in Washington, D.C., leads to the creations of the Methodist Social Creed that cares for social action. It is the forerunner of today's Social Principles.
1911 - The Methodist Hospital Association (Methodist Episcopal, Methodist Episcopal South and Methodist Protestants) announced the Maryland General Hospital was now being operated in Baltimore. This mission marked a trend toward union in 1939.
1920 – United Methodist Women create Park Avenue Lodge in Baltimore to serve as a home for women coming to work in the city
1922 - Methodist Building on Capitol Hill becomes a headquarters for temperance.
1922 – The Epworth League purchases a 106-acre farm to become a home for the aged with 47 residents in Gaithersburg, which today is Asbury Methodist Village.