Board of Ordained Ministry
The Board of Ordained Ministry (BOOM) cultivates an environment for growth within the Baltimore-Washington Conference by calling spiritual leaders to sense and respond to God’s call to ministry. Clergy members of the conference receive support for ongoing professional development and encouragement to share their gifts with colleagues, congregations and the larger community.
For questions about BOOM Policies review the Policies and Procedures Manual.
Called to Ordained Ministry
- Certified Candidacy - Steps and requirements. Questions? Contact your District Superintendent.
- Local Pastors – Questions about Course of Study contact Pastor John Dean, registrar. For the License to Preach School, contact Richard Willson.
- Provisional Membership – Application Instructions and Documents. Questions? Contact the Registrar for Provisional Members, Rev. Chris Owens.
- Full Membership (Elders and Deacons) – Application Instruction and Documents. Contact the Registrar for Full Members, Rev. Alicia Vanisko.
- Do you think God may be calling you to Christian Ministry? Contact the Culture of Call chairperson, Rev. Vicky Starnes.
- For questions related to background checks, psychological testing, MEF funds, and the BWC Application Portal, please contact the Board of Ministry Staff.
- Questions about serving as a Mentor or the Residency in Ministry program? Contact Rev. Ron Foster.
- For information from the Conference Moving Coordinator, contact Rev. Jeff Paulson.
- Looking for Continuing Education opportunities? Contact Continuing Education chairperson, Rev. James Miller.
- For information on Professional degrees, you may contact the Director of Admissions at Wesley Theological Seminary, Chip Aldridge. There are 13 United Methodist Theological Schools as well as other official Theological Seminaries.
- Read the policy on Yearly DCOM Review and Recommendation of LLPs.
- District Committee on Ordained Ministry See important documents below.
DCOM Candidate Mentor Resources
- Candidacy Mentor Job Description
- Answering the Call Candidacy Guidebook (2016)
- Answering the Call Discussion Plan
- Answering the Call Appendix A Mentor Guide
- BWC Ministry Field Guide (2022)
- BWC Portal Applicant Guide (2021)
- Mentoring—A Biblical Basis
- The Fundamentals and Qualities of Mentors
- Tips for Mentoring Candidates
- Psychological Assessment Process - Candidate Guide
- Psychological Assessment Process - DCOM Guide
- DCOM Candidacy Mentor Training Online Course