"Throughout Scripture the people of God are called to love sojourners in our midst, treating them "as if they were one of your citizens" and loving them as we do ourselves (Lev. 19:33-34)...Welcoming the migrant is not only an act of mission; it is an opportunity to receive God's grace...We call upon all United Methodist churches to welcome new arriving migrants in their communities, to love them as we do ourselves, to treat them as one of our native-born, to see in them the presence of the incarnated Jesus, and to show hospitality to the migrants in our midst, believing that through their presence we are receiving the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ." (2016 Book of Resolutions, #3281, "Welcoming the Migrant to the US")
"...We oppose immigration policies that separate family members from each other or that include detention of families with children, and we call on local churches to be in ministry with immigrant families." (2016 Book of Discipline, Social Principles ¶162.H)
Immigration Rights Team Chairpersons
Rev. Cassandra Nunez |
A number of opportunities are now available to work for justice
Other actions you and your congregation can take to work for justice on the national and local level include:
- Join Sanctuary Faith/ Lay Leader Sign-On Letter to President Biden Here -- Sanctuary leaders are planning to deliver this to the Biden Administration in the coming days. Please help us get over 1,000 so we can send a strong message from the faith community for President Biden to support liberation of all people in Sanctuary through administrative stays of deportation.
- Sign up to receive Sojourners recommended sermons, tips for preaching about immigration here.
- Listen to United Methodist Women: Faith Talks with Cindy Johnson here.
- Learn more about the Haitian Bridge Alliance
- Learn more about the Welcome With Dignity
- Learn more about the Black Alliance for Just Immigration (BAJI): Haitian & Black Immigrants U.S.-Mexico Border Crisis - Rapid Response Toolkit
Immigration Rights Resources
Immigration Rights News
Go to the bottom of this page to make a donation. United Methodists are called to welcome and assist the sojourner...
By Melissa Lauber The church and community exploded in a beautiful cacophony of color, design, dance, flavor, and...
“Love the sojourner, therefore, for you were sojourners in the land of Egypt.” &ndash...
Immigration Rights Events