Friday, December 08, 2023, 6:30 PM - Saturday, December 09, 2023, 4:00 PM
Location: Grace UMC Hagerstown, 312 W Church Street, Hagerstown, MD US 21740
Worshiping with United Methodists - Advanced Course
Your instructor is Pastor Dionne Hall; Please contact her directly if you have questions about the class.
Google Voice cell phone number: (240) 347-2345;
Class Schedule: Friday and Saturday, 12/8 – 12/9/2023; Fri. 6:30 – 8 and Sat. 8 – 4. Please bring your lunch, snacks, and a reusable mug as coffee, tea, and hot chocolate will be provided.
In Person Class Location: Grace United Methodist Church, 712 W. Church Street, Hagerstown, MD 21740;
Zoom log-in information will be sent on Thursday, November 2, 2023.
Required Texts for this class:
Worshiping with United Methodists ISBN- 978-0-687-33526-8. Books may be purchased from:
- Cokesbury COKESBURY LINK FOR THE BOOK!
- The Upper Room THE UPPER ROOM LINK FOR BOOK!; and some texts are available at Amazon.com or Christian bookstores.
- United Methodist Hymnal
- A copy of your church’s bulletin from a communion Sunday
- A copy of your church’s regular worship service
Required Technology: The Zoom link will be sent to participants closer to the meeting date. Access to a search engine (laptop, tablet, cellphone) to access liturgy resources.
Reading Assignment: Read the entire book prior to class.
Class Expectations: Be prepared to discuss your answers in both small and large groups.
By the end of this course, the participants will have:
- Review the Basic Pattern of Worship found in the UM Hymnal;
- Review the seasons of the Christian year;
- Explore each component of the Basic Pattern of Worship;
- Explore different resources for writing/incorporating worship liturgy.
Be certain to file the certification of completion you receive in a safe place. You will need to submit a copy of it with your Annual Report for your local church’s fall charge conference meeting.
NOTE: If you wish to become a Certified Lay Servant [CLS] you need to complete both the BASIC and one ADVANCED Lay Servant class. Then fill out the CLS Application Form attaching certificates from both classes and e-mail the packet to Kayla Harkcom for review and approval by the District Committee on Lay Servant Ministries, or equivalent structure (See ¶668.3).
Best wishes as you continue with your Lay Servant Ministry.