Monday, September 28, 2020, 6:00 PM - Thursday, October 01, 2020, 8:30 PM
Praying in public can be daunting, but prayer is something one learns. This course on praying in public will
help the participant grow in confidence and skill in public prayer and enrich their personal prayer life.
Required Text: Shaping the Prayers of the People: The Art of Intercession by Samuel Wells and Abigail Kocher;
ISBN: 978‐0‐80287‐097‐1 Also available at Amazon.com
Reading Assignments: Be sure to downloaded and complete this Reading Assignment before class starts.
Bring any questions you have along to class.
Zoom Meeting: Class will be held via Zoom Meeting. Information for joining the class will be provided in the assignment sheet prior
to start class date.
Instructor: Pastor Kyle Durbin
Class Schedule: 09/28/2020 -- 10/01/2020; Mon. – Thurs., from 6 pm – 8:30 pm [for 2-1/2 hours each day]; Minimum 5 students for class to be offered.
Registration deadline is September 21, 2020
Summary of CLS -- Lay Servants serve the local church or charge in any way in which their witness or leadership and service inspires the laity to deeper commitment to Christ and more effective discipleship. This includes the interpretation of scriptures, doctrine, organization, and ministries of the church. While one doesn't have to be certified to serve, there are opportunities for those who feel called to become Certified Lay Servants, Certified Lay Speakers or Certified Lay Ministers. One of the strengths of our connectional system is that we offer training for these ministries.
NOTE: ALL ADVANCED CLASSES may be used as a re-certification class for Certified Lay Servants, Certified Lay Speakers and Certified Lay Ministers. These classes may be taken by anyone: member of a congregation, local church leader, or lay servant.
You may attend classes outside of your district, based on your own needs. Here is the link to the CLS classes offered in all BWC Districts: https://www.bwcumc.org/lay-servant-ministry-training/ You will receive credit for the class, regardless of which district is offering it, as long as you complete the class requirements and have the certificate of completion
General Instructions and Class Information:
- The C-H District Lay Servant Committee reserves the right to cancel classes for insufficient registration and will give as much notice as possible so you can register for another class or request a refund.
- No babysitting services are offered.
- Unless otherwise indicated, all classes will be completed within a condensed time-frame, so NO absences are permitted.
- ALL CLASSES WILL BE ONLINE VIA THE ZOOM APPLICATION. The teacher will send students an e-mail invitation to attend the scheduled Zoom meeting. The e-mail will contain a link to the Zoom Meeting, the Meeting ID, and Pass Code [if applicable]. Information about participating in a ZOOM class is included on the assignment sheet. Make sure to review it carefully, prior to class starting.
- Paper paying with a check - complete paper registration form and send it with a $40 check made payable to BWC Treasurer [Lay Servant Class in Memo line] to: Penny Gaver, Attn: CHD Lay Servant Ministry,16307 McGregor Drive, Hagerstown, MD 21740.
- Online paying with a credit card - YOU MUST register online using your PERSONAL Arena User Name and Password, and pay $35 with a credit card.
- NOTE: Contact Penny Gaver if your Spring class was cancelled to transfer to another class or request a refund.)
- Required Text* and Reading Assignments: Download and print out PDF of assignment from website. It contains contact information for the instructor as well as the title and ISBN # for the required text, and where they may be purchased. Class will be completed within the 10 hours of class so make sure reading is completed prior to attending class. Be sure to bring any questions with you to class.
- Required Texts: May be purchased from: Cokesbury (www.cokesbury.com) or phone at 1-800-672-1789; The General Board of Discipleship (http://www.gbod.org/); The Upper Room (http://bookstore.upperroom.org/) or phone at 1-800-972-0433; and Amazon.com or local Christian bookstores.
- Be certain to file the certificate you receive at the end of the class in a safe place. You will need to submit a copy of it with your Annual Report for your local church’s fall charge conference meeting. It is your responsibility to track your progress completing and retaining Lay Servant Ministries completion certificates and information for future reports.
- NOTE: If you wish to become a Certified Lay Servant [CLS] you need to complete both the BASIC and one ADVANCED Lay Servant class. Then fill out the ”Certified Lay Servant and Certified Lay Speaker- Application”attaching certificates from both classes and send the packet for review and approval by the District Committee on Lay Servant Ministries, or equivalent structure (See ¶668.3). For more details on the CLS: https://www.bwcumc.org/ministries/leadership-development/laity-development/
REMINDER: ALL ADVANCED Lay Servant Classes are approved as Re-certification Class for Certified Lay Speakers and Certified Lay Ministers.
- Questions About Registration? Contact Penny Gaver (e-mail: ) or call: 301-788-0016.
- Questions About Classes? Contact Wanda Jimenez-Barkdoll, C-H Lay Servant Co-Director (e-mail: ).