Each year United Methodist clergy and congregations are to engage in an assessment process for increased effectiveness. These evaluations—when done in a spirit of love and desire to align ministry and leaders more fully with God’s purposes—can be a powerful tool that helps everyone get (or stay) on the same page and work together toward excellence.
About the Evaluation Forms
Pastoral Ministry Evaluation, SPRC Appointment Advisory & Congregational Profile
This evaluation is completed for each pastor serving in the church by the SPRC based in part on performance goals set in the previous year. It also evaluates the overall profile of the congregation.
» The Lewis Center for Church Leadership has developed some free resources that help SPRCs improve their own understanding and skills in giving feedback.
» For more information about the appointment-making process, please review the SPRC Appointment Making Process Presentation from Leadership Day.
Pastor/Deacon Self-Evaluation & Advisory Forms
There are two separate forms—one for Pastors (Clergy) and one for Deacons. These forms are completed by each pastor and/or deacon serving the church.
Completed by church leadership and the pastor. This includes lay leader, church council chairperson or equivalent, finance chairperson, SPRC chairperson, other ministry staff and others so that there are at least five people involved. Ideally, the evaluation helps a congregation:
- Identifying and building on strengths that will further enhance discipleship in the congregation and the community;
- Identifying behaviors or attitudes that are detrimental to building discipleship in the congregation and the community;
- Affirming the gifts and graces of the pastor/deacon and congregation;
- Clarifying expectations;
- Identifying areas limiting discipleship growth and development;
- Setting priorities for ministries.
We recommend that congregations review the progress on goals it has set on a quarterly basis.
Pastoral Goals for 2018
These goals are used to evaluate the pastor each year. If your pastor is newly appointed, please refer to the goals that were created at the Pastor/SPRC Transition Workshop.
Use these worksheets to collect the necessary information you will need to complete the electronic forms in Arena. These are worksheets only and must be completed in Arena.
- Pastoral Ministry Evaluation, SPRC Appointment Advisory & Congregational Profile
- Pastor Self-Evaluation & Appointment Advisory
- Deacon Self-Evaluation & Appointment Advisory
- Congregation Evaluation
- Pastoral Goals for 2018