Once you are commissioned, you begin provisional membership and are brought into the clergy covenant.
During the provisional period (two to eight years), you will serve under appointment by the bishop during the provisional years in areas of service appropriate to your calling. Provisional members may be appointed to congregations (Deacons or Elders), to attend school, to extension ministry (Elders), or in appointments beyond the local church (Deacons). They are supervised by a district superintendent, to whom they submit an annual report.
The provisional period is a time to gain experience in ministry. To be approved for ordination, the provisional member must demonstrate fruitful ministry. This is an important time of developing supportive and accountable relationships among your clergy colleagues, learning from experience, and clarifying your sense of call.
General Information and Instructions
- Before you do anything, please read the Requirements for Provisional Membership Exam and the Plagiarism,
Copyrightand Respect for Intellectual Property documents in their entirety.
- Please keep a personal copy of everything.
- All documents and forms can be submitted electronically or by mail.
- All surveys to be completed by candidates are listed below with the link to each survey. The copies on the website are for information and use in preparing documents in advance of completing the online survey.
- All Recommendation/Evaluation surveys should be completed online by evaluators and a copy will be sent via email directly to each evaluator that is specific to each candidate. A copy of the survey, instructions and a copy of the signed “Release of Information” will be provided to each evaluator.
Documents to be downloaded and submitted by August 19, 2016, by Candidates
- Requirements for Provisional Membership Exam
- Understanding of Requirements, Deadlines and Release of Information
- Background Certification Form
- General Release of Information
- Theological School Release of Information
- Submit two (2) identical 2×2 full-face color photos
Surveys to be reviewed and submitted online by August 19,
2016 by Candidates
- United Methodist Church Biographical Information Survey (download sample PDF)
- List of Persons Sending Evaluations Survey (download sample PDF) Note: The individuals on your list will receive a request to complete an evaluation/recommendation survey via email.
Documents to be downloaded and/or submitted by October 7,
2016 by Candidates
- Order and have submitted an official, certified copy of your seminary transcript
- Download the Medical Form and submit to a doctor for return by deadline
- Sermon submission
- Bible Study submission
- Submit responses to the questions from The Book of Discipline plus additional questions required
- Download and submit the Certification of Effort form
Samples of surveys to be submitted by October 7,
2016 by Evaluators
PDF versions of the surveys are on this website for information purposes only. The survey will be customized for each candidate and emailed to each evaluator with the link, instructions and a copy of the signed Release. You should notify each evaluator to expect the survey for completion on your behalf.