Peace with Justice
Peace with Justice is a way United Methodists reflect the of shalom of the Bible. It calls the church to “strengthen its capacity to advocate publicly in communities and nations” throughout the world. The Peace with Justice initiative aims to make God’s shalom visible and active in people’s lives. One component of this is an annual offering and grants awarded to local churches working for justice.
Peace with Justice Sunday is May 27, 2018
Peace with Justice Grants
- BWC Peace with Justice Grant Application-Due April 30
- BWC Peace with Justice After Action Report Form
The Community Anti-Violence Program at Hughes Memorial United Methodist Church provides after school tutoring and mentoring for children and youth who are vulnerable to the trauma of poverty and violence in their community. The Peace with Justice grant was used to partially offset the cost of stipends to Howard University students who serve as mentors/tutors.
Van Buren United Methodist Church are converting the unused parsonage into a place of support for homeless mothers with children who are victims of domestic violence. They are partnering with The House of Divine Guidance to provide the housing and services necessary find stability and employment.
The Imago Dei (I.D.) Ministry at Foundry United Methodist Church provides serve homeless Washington residents who need to be able to identify themselves with legally recognized and accepted forms of identification in order to access social and public services. The primary use of the BWC funds will be to assist those clients who lack funds for the cost of transportation to sites where I.D. cards can be obtained.
- Faith in Action article on gun violence Bible study, “Kingdom Dreams, Violent Realities.” Download the three-session study for free
- Advocacy packet for use in local congregations: Working for a Just and Lasting Peace in Israel and Palestine
- Peace, Peacebuilding
andPeacelearning: A Holistic Introduction — 90-day study guide for peace builders of all ages
- Article: Peace on the Land, The Bible
- Peace with Justice Covenant Congregation Workbook