Every Monday, 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Hopehill United Methodist Church, 7647 Fingerboard Road, Frederick, MD US 21704
Group: District Bloggers, Staff
Advanced courses are for those who have completed a Basic Instruction class and have been approved to become a certified lay servant or is a certified lay speaker who needs to complete their three-year requirement to re-certify.
A fresh understanding of the United Methodism organization. What we believe about God and God’s relation to the world shapes who we are and how we organize our church. The Method of Our Mission, especially written for United Methodist classes, uses a Wesleyan theological frame to help readers understand United Methodism’s principles and structure, and the relationship between our beliefs, mission, and practice. The book is arranged into four parts – United Methodist beliefs, mission, practice, and organization. This textbook has been updated with changes from the 2016 General Conference.
A copy of the 2016 Book of Discipline is not required, but would be helpful for this course.
This course can be used for certification or re-certification and is also approved as a course for the Certified Lay Speaker track.
Required Text: The Method of Our Mission-United Methodist Polity & Organization by Laceye C. Warner; ISBN: #9781426767173
Where: Hopehill United Methodist Church, 7647 Fingerboard Road, Frederick, MD 21704
Instructor: CLS: Angela Fossett
Date: 9/23 – 10/21 – Five Mondays
Time: 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
(Registration Deadline: September 9, 2019)
- The Frederick District Lay Servant Committee reserves the right to cancel classes for insufficient registration and will give as much notice as possible, so you can register for another class or request a refund.
- No babysitting services are offered.
- No absences are permitted for classes that are to be completed on a 2-day time frame.
- Classes that are one day on a 5-week time frame may have a one-day excused absence for an unusual hardship. However, left up to the discretion of the instructor, the student should make up the session missed.
CLASS COST: Does not include the required text
- Paper registration – complete paper Registration Form making sure to mark the class you are registering for and send it with a $40 check made payable to the BWC Treasurer and mailed to: BWC Western Region Office, Attn: Tonia Bennett, Lay Servant Academy, 703 W Patrick St, Frederick, MD 21701
- Online registration with credit card - $35
Required text(s) need to be purchased prior to class by the student and
reading assignments that are sent by the instructor need to be completed prior to attending class. The texts may be purchased through:
- Cokesbury Or call Customer Service and Ordering 1-800-672-1789
- The General Board of Discipleship Or call Customer Services & Ordering 1-800-972-0433
- Other bookstores may also have the books you need.
Be sure to keep a copy of the certificate you will receive upon completion of the course. It will be needed along with a signed and approved Certified Lay Servant and Certified Lay Speaker Application to become a Certified Lay Servant. You will also need copies of both the Basic completion certificate and the advanced completion certificate for your annual report for Church Conference each year.
Please contact Tonia Bennett, 410-309-3480, for a paper registration