Every Tuesday, from 10/08/2019 to 11/05/2019, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Location: Weller United Methodist Church, 101 North Altamont Avenue, Thurmont, MD US 21788
Group: District Bloggers, Staff
"Basic Course" This training is for anyone who wants to learn about the Lay Servant Ministry. A Lay Servant is a person who has been called by God to serve the local Church. The person must be a member in good standing of a United Methodist church, has been recommended by their pastor, and approved at Church Conference to be part of the Local Church Lay Servant Ministry.
Required Text: Lay Servant Ministries Basic Course Participant Book by Sandy Jackson; ISBN: #9780881776263 – Cost $11.00
Where: Weller United Methodist Church – 101 North Altamont Avenue, Thurmont, MD 21788 – (Closely located off route 15)
Instructor: Rev. Bob Kells
Date: October 8 – November 5. Five Tuesdays
Time: 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
(Registration Deadline - September 24, 2019)
- The Frederick District Lay Servant Committee reserves the right to cancel classes for insufficient registration and will give as much notice as possible, so you can register for another class or request a refund.
- No babysitting services are offered.
- No absences are permitted for classes that are to be completed on a 2-day time frame.
- Classes that are one day on a 5-week time frame may have a one-day excused absence for an unusual hardship. However, left up to the discretion of the instructor, the student should make up the session missed.
CLASS COST: Does not include the required text
- Paper registration – complete paper Registration Form making sure to mark the class you are registering for and send it with a $40 check made payable to the BWC Treasurer and mailed to: BWC Western Region Office, Attn: Tonia Bennett, Lay Servant Academy, 703 W Patrick St, Frederick, MD 21701
- Online registration with credit card - $35
Required text(s) need to be purchased prior to class by the student and
reading assignments that are sent by the instructor need to be completed prior to attending class. The texts may be purchased through:
- Cokesbury Or call Customer Service and Ordering 1-800-672-1789
- The General Board of Discipleship Or call Customer Services & Ordering 1-800-972-0433
- Other bookstores may also have the books you need.
Be sure to keep a copy of the certificate you will receive upon completion of the course. It will be needed along with a signed and approved Certified Lay Servant and Certified Lay Speaker Application to become a Certified Lay Servant. You will also need copies of both the Basic completion certificate and the advanced completion certificate for your annual report for Church Conference each year.
Please contact Tonia Bennett, 410-309-3480, for a paper registration