CM District Lay Servant Ministries
February 16, 2018
Upcoming Basic and Advanced LSM Course Offerings in the CM District:
May 5-6, 2018 - CM District Lay Servant Ministries Academy
Formerly known as "Discipleship Academy"
@ BWC Mission Center - 9:00 AM, Saturday / 3:00 PM, Sunday
Join us May 5th and 6th at the Baltimore-Washington Conference Mission Center for the CM District’s Lay Servant Ministry Academy. The duration of each Lay Servant Ministry course is 10 hours. Those registering for a credit-based course must attend for the full 10 hours to receive credit for certification or recertification.
- Registration will open in March 2018.
- Certification Course Registration (Basic or Advanced): $35.00
- Optional Boxed Lunch: $10.00
- All registrations will be online only. We cannot accommodate walk-in registrations.
Course Offerings Throughout the BWC
Check the Lay Servant Ministries Training page to see courses being offered by other districts.
Course Offerings Online
Click on the following link: BeADisciple.com Online Advanced LSM Courses
Lay Servant Ministries - Forms
Click the links below to access these required forms.
- This application must be submitted when seeking to certify or recertify as a Certified Lay Servant AND/OR to recertify as a Certified Lay Speaker. The application can be submitted at any time throughout the year in which you are seeking certification or recertification. Please note that annual LSM reports to Charge/Church Conference are also still required for all Certified Lay Servants, Certified Lay Speakers, and Certified Lay Ministers.
- If you have completed a course outside of your certification/recertification year, it is a good idea to submit your certificate of completion along with the LSM application so we can keep our records up to date.
- Submit your annual report at least 10 days prior to your church conference this fall.
- Be sure you have your Basic Course certificate and at least your most recent Advanced Course certificate before you begin (these uploads are required)
- All fields on the annual report are required. Enter data for all questions or prompts that are applicable to you and your area of certification. Enter "N/A" for all questions or prompts that are not applicable to you. The form will not allow you to submit/save data until all required fields are satisfied. Be sure you are ready to spend at least 10 minutes on the form before you begin.
- If you are missing a required certificate, please create a document (in Microsoft Word, Adobe [PDF], etc.) containing a brief statement that includes as much information as you can recall related to the course for which you no longer possess a certificate (i.e. Course Name, Date of Completion, Instructor, Location). Save the statement to your computer and upload it in the appropriate place within your Arena form.
Lay Servant Ministries - Certification
Those seeking to become Certified Lay Servants must complete both the Basic LSM course and an Advanced LSM course prior to the date of the annual church conference.
After initial certification, Certified Lay Servants must take an Advanced LSM course and apply for recertification every three years.
Links to Important Information and Resources:
- LSM Certification Requirements - CLS, CLSp, CLM
- 2018 LSM Course Catalog
- Becoming a Certified Lay Minister (CLM)
- Discipleship Ministries
Where are you in the certification process?
You took the
What you need to do next...
|2015, 2016, 2017, or early 2018||Take an advanced course before your 2018 Church Conference. Be sure to attach your Basic and Advanced Course certificates to this year's annual report to Church Conference.|
|2014 or earlier:||
Under the former LSM requirements, you should have already completed a "refresher course" by your 2017 Charge Conference. The "refresher courses" are advanced LSM courses.
If you took an advanced course in 2017, you are now a "Certified Lay Servant" and will need to take another course before Church Conferences in 2020. Be sure to attach your Basic and Advanced Course certificates your certification renewal application.
You took an
What you need to do next...
2015 or earlier:
Take another advanced course before your 2018 Church Conference. Be sure to maintain records
Take another advanced course before your 2019 Church Conference.
Take another advanced course before your 2020 Church Conference.
Take another advanced course before your 2021 Church Conference.
For more information regarding the changes to Lay Servant Ministry certification, see the following:
- All Districts
- Baltimore Metro
- Baltimore Suburban
- Central Maryland
- Greater Washington
- Washington East