BWC Logo

Pleasant Walk UMC,Myersville,MD

Clergy of this Church

Building Location:
11240 Pleasant Walk Rd,Myersville MD,21773-9218
City:
Myersville
State:
MD
Phone:
(301) 797-5433
Service Times :
9:30 AM
Handicap Access:
Yes - Single floor
Year Established:
1867
Church History:
The people of Pleasant Walk had their beginnings as a United Brethren congregation at the Old Jerusalem Church northwest of Myersville. Many of the churches in the western Maryland area have their roots at this site. The United Brethren worshiped here from 1806 to 1852. In 1852 a new Brethren Church was constructed in Myersville but the people of Pleasant Walk purchased one half acre of land from James and Catherine Gladhill for $10.00 at Pleasant Walk to build a new church there. They continued to worship at the Jerusalem church until 1867 when they purchased another half acre from Daniel and Mary Dusing for $17.00 and built the Mt Olivet Church. Many improvements were made to the church over the years. In 1902 the bell tower was added. Another half acre and school building (across the road) were purchased from the board of education in 1929 (1930) for $45.00. The school was dismantled and sold. A social hall was built on this site in 1960. In 1975 a Sunday School addition (with bathrooms) was added to the church. A sound system was installed in 1991 and a handicapped ramp in 1993. The church has changed its affiliation since its beginnings. In 1946 the United Brethren merged with the Evangelical Church to become the Evangelical United Brethren. In 1968 this merged with the Methodist Church to become the United Methodist Church.
Mission Statement:
Our mission: To dedicate our lives for individual service and personal sacrifice in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, develop opportunities and take initiatives to present Christ in love and service to a hurting community and world, striving always to reach out beyond ourselves as a living testimony to present and future generations for the glory of God.

Map to Location